Thursday, July 8, 2010

Getting back in the groove, sort of...

I went to knit night (note to the people who do all of the "updates" to the library: AIR CONDITIONING needs to be a priority!) and finally started a new project. I'm using the Serenity Garden yarn from Premiere Yarn to make the baby hoodie from Bernat. The colorway is called roses and trust me, the picture doesn't do it justice. This yarn is so soft that I'm absolutely loving working with it.

What I'm not loving right now is that my gauge is one stitch and one row off.... which means frogging (because you "rip-it, rip-it") about an hour's worth of work and then waiting until I'm home because I don't have the right size needle with me to go down a size on the band (The pattern calls for US sizes 5 and 6 needles, which are what I have with me... I need to get my US size 4 from home to do the bottom band). It figures that the ONE TIME I don't have dpns with me (which is unusual, but I was in a hurry to get going tonight and didn't get to stop home after knit night before meeting dh for his lunch break at work... and yeah, my dpns would have worked wonderfully for this!) is the time that the Knitting Fates decide to mess with me. I could just continue on with the "well, it'll fit SOMEONE" mentality, but honestly, the size 6 needle is just a tad too big for it and the yarn is coming out rather looser than I'd like. I'm seriously considering getting more of this yarn (it feels like the microfiber cloths it's so soft!) and making more baby items with it.

As for more socks, I'm "punishing" myself and forcing myself to knit with the yarn from projects I've previously frogged and making more socks. I'm using that Paton's Kroy FX yarn and I think I'm going to end up getting a bottle of dye and just making them all one color... I will never buy this yarn again after being given the kiss off by their customer service. Whether or not I ban ALL Paton's yarn from my stash remains to be seen....