Sunday, June 6, 2010

Now I've gone and done it....

I finally got over my "no project is good enough for the yarn I bought for my birthday last year" mentality and decided to use the 5 hanks to make myself some "birthday socks". We live up here in the mountains and with my issues with arthritis once I get cold I have a very hard time getting warm (we're talking 2 comforters required to keep my body temp up with the thermostat around 75 degrees).... I've made many pairs of hand knit socks....


For other people....

and none for myself. Which means I get to go around with cold feet which the cold travels up and causes my arthritis to flare up.

Anyhow... I broke out my Lorna's Laces shepherd sock last night while half watching Doctor Who (note to the writers: last night's sucked.) and did the cuff ( I was spending more time watching television rather than knitting) and about an inch of the leg.  This morning I got up and started knitting while listening to the Yarn Harlot  reading At Knits End  and doing the usual 50,000 things at once that is typical of days my dh goes to work.... that's as of noon today....

I'm currently turning the heel for the second time (yes, on the same sock.... Human Error) The beauty of this yarn is that any screw up I get is my own fault. It works up beautifully, no knots, it doesn't split.... it feels so wonderful and smooth.... I told my dh that this means the rest of the yarn in my stash is pure CRAP and I simply can't buy anymore CRAP yarn.... I can only buy the nice stuff when I'm making things for people who live in our house where I know they'll be properly taken care of (well, what do you expect when I'm the one that does laundry??? LOL!)

Back to knitting.... I just might get to the part where I'm working on the foot of the sock before I crash for the night.... total time spent knitting? Approximately 5 hours total.... time it normally takes me to get to this point using lower end yarns? about a week to a week and a half....